Tax Lead - OpStart
Location: 100% Remote
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to apply
At OpStart, we delight in helping entrepreneurs get where they want to go. OpStart provides startups with essential, reliable, and scalable financial and business administration solutions at affordable rates, including accounting, finance, tax, and back-office operations. We give entrepreneurs the freedom to focus on what matters most.
OpStart is centered around the following Core Values:
▪ Do the right thing.
▪ Empower the entrepreneurial spirit.
▪ Add value by delivering high quality, efficient and innovative solutions.
▪ Build supportive and engaged relationships.
▪ Enthusiastically champion the mission and embrace the adventure.
OpStart is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. All positions are currently remote, and there is no specific requirement around location for placement of this position.
ABOUT THE ROLE
OpStart is looking for a Tax Lead to head up our tax service offering and spearhead our clients’ tax needs. This position will play an integral role in our client service teams with primary responsibilities for implementing tax compliance processes and tax software and assuring complete and accurate tax filings.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop and lead OpStart’s tax service offering, including contributing to strategy, pricing and process
- Oversee income tax process, including federal and state income taxes, 1099s, and Delaware Franchise Taxes
- Develop and implement standard tax workpapers, process and approvals across team
- Prepare, review and provide feedback on draft income tax returns and reconciliations to the financial statements
- Communicate clearly and frequently on status of returns and filings, both internally and externally
- Ensure tax compliance by reviewing direct and indirect tax returns, tax provisions, and attending to tax queries for OpStart’s clients
- Suggest and implement both tax-savings opportunities and tax strategies and solutions by working closely with multiple client stakeholders
- Assist with tax audits
- Provide advice and guidance on all tax related matters, including federal and state income taxes and state and local payroll tax notices
- Work with OpStart’s R&D tax credit team members to ensure the successful filing of R&D credit claims within client’s income tax returns
- Monitor and analyze proposed tax policy changes to evaluate impact and develop necessary implementation plans
- Work with OpStart’s accounting and other cross-functional teams to implement and improve end-to-end tax processes and procedures to mitigate risks
- 3+ years public accounting firm experience (Big 4 experience preferred)
- Demonstrative knowledge and proficiency with tax compliance software (i.e., Intuit, Drake, etc.)
- Experience with filing federal and state income taxes for C corporations, LLCs, S corporations and partnerships
- Ability to remain current on IRS tax changes
- Strong analytical skills and high attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to develop and manage processes with limited oversight
- Excited to work in a fast-paced environment with a team of entrepreneurs
- CPA license preferred
- Desire to help others and provide extraordinary customer service
- Detailed oriented, organized, efficient and tech-savvy
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of the activities, duties, or responsibilities for this position. Duties, obligations, and activities may evolve or change at any time with or without formal notice.